Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Paper Smooches - SPARKS challenge

Paper Smooches has a new Sparks challenge to create a card using a designer draft sketch. This is my first time participating in a PS challenge, but I really love Paper Smooches stamps. It seemed like a no-brainer to join in.

I usually go with the flow on cards and don't plan out with sketches - though I probably should, as no plan sometimes ends up with a card I don't like. So, taking a sketch and turning it into a card sounded like a great challenge and a great way to practice.

Here is my card:
The bunny, heart and sentiment are from A little Lovin' stamp set (which, as I mentioned in my tools/supplies for beginners series is a must have!). The patterned paper is Fancy Pants Down by the Shore.

I had a left-over circle from my previous card, so I cut another circle inside of it to create a round border. I cut out a piece of vellum to be the same size as the border, and glued it together. Then, I used Bazzill's Marshmallow stock to cut a smaller circle that would be the background for the bunny. For the ground, I used a piece of scrap yellow paper. The sky was made with Ranger's Broken China ink stain.

To create the fun scalloped border at the bottom of the card, I used the Borders 2 die from Paper Smooches. 

I placed the bunny and heart on top with dimensional squares. The bunny and heart were colored in using watercolor pencils. I added a set of small dash-lines around the top of the card and a few small hearts with a pink pen.

Lastly, I used white gel pen to create a stitch border for the circle, and the card is done!

6 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, this is so cute! I understand what you mean about sketches. Sometimes I can work with them, sometimes not. You nailed this sketch though! Such a gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you're so sweet, Kylie! Thank you.

      These challenges are really fun and different. I'm trying out new things because of them, and that's just wonderful. I can't wait until the next challenge. :)

      Delete
  2. This is great! Well done on stretching yourself to use a sketch - it was definitely a big success - the card is adorable. Thanks so much for playing at Paper Smooches Sparks this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rachel! I can't wait to see what next week's challenge is. I hope to participate again. :)

      Delete
  3. Your card is absolutely adorable! Love how you colored the bunny, and all the little details like the faux stitching are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, for your kind comment, Chris!

      I think coloring is one of my favorite things to do on a card, so I've got a ton of critter and person stamps. It reminds me of coloring books I used to get as a kid, and they were my favorite activity ever.

      I love how playful, colorful and creative card making can be.

      Delete