Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Scarecrow (Guest DT)

Okay, I am super, SUPER, SUPER excited about this card!!!! A short while back, I was the incredibly lucky winner of a guest designer spot for Some Odd Girl for October's digi releases. After practically picking my jaw off the floor and dancing around the room, I got in touch with the amazing DT ladies and we got things rolling.

And ta-da! You can see my card on the Some Odd Girl blog (squee! So exciting!!!)


I started by downloading and printing the Scarecrow digi onto some Copic X-Press It Blending cardstock. I colored him in with my Copics. I had quite a few palette ideas, but finally decided to go with autumn colors. And since he had so many little details, I could still sneak in some brighter colors on the clothes patches and the birds.

After he was colored in, I cut him out with a pair of sharp scissors, leaving a small white border. I set him aside to work on the rest of the card.

I made my card base by cutting and scoring a piece of Kraft cardstock into a standard top-folding A2 card (4 1/4 by 5 1/2").

I found a patterned paper that perfectly matched the tones in the drawing, and I pulled out several sheets. One of my favorite details on the stamp is the button eye and the stitching, so I decided to incorporate circles and stitches into the design.

I used my Bigshot to cut out several shapes: scalloped rectangle from brown cardstock, stitched rectangle from blue paper and a stitched circle from yellow paper. I also cut a simple strip of red chevron paper for extra interest.

I played around with layering all the elements together until I was happy with how they looked. I adhered them to the card base, then adhered the Scarecrow with my standard adhesive.

The rest of the embellishments came together very quickly. I added a sprinkling of enamel dots in the bottom left corner. I used a piece of flair instead of a sentiment, and found a label sticker that matched it perfectly.

Supplies:
Some Odd Girl Scarecrow digital stamp
Copic X-Press It Blending cardstock
Copics (Y21, E33, E35, E39, E29, E57, E59, E79, E07, R59, R89, E50, E53, R20, 0, BV01, BV13, G24, YG67, B02, B05, G14, C4, C6, C8, 100, YR23, Y35, Y11, B91, B95, B99, YR15, YR27, BG32, BG49)
Little Yellow Bicycle Feels Like Home 6x6 patterned paper Tombow Dot Adhesive Runner (pink)
Neenah Desert Storm Environmental Cardstock in 100#lbs
Stampin' Up cardstock in Chocolate Chip
Mama Elephant Femme Frames dies
My Favorite Things Stitched Circle STAX dies
Jillibean Soup Labels stickers
Lawn Fawn Into the Woods Flair 
Studio Calico Essentials Yellows & Oranges Enamel Dots
Green Enamel Dots

5 comments:

  1. Hihi I should dance and jump around too!! It's awesome you could be a designer, but you work hard for it, and you have adorable cards! You deserve this so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ellen! I'm beyond happy and excited. It's such an amazing opportunity. :D

      Delete
  2. Thank you! I'll have to join up on Pintrest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elle!!! WOOHOOO!! So exciting! Thrilled for you. You make the most amazing cards and I love seeing when you are recognised for it. Your gorgeous colouring makes this little guy pop and I'm loving all those bright happy colours you've chosen. Congratulations, sweet friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kylie! I'm still completely amazed that I won the guest spot, and even more so that I got a chance to play with some truly incredible stamps. I'm so grateful for the opportunity, and for the recognition!

      Delete