Saturday, July 26, 2014

SSS-August 2014 You're So Cool

Yesterday, I received my August card kit from Simon Says Stamp, and I just had to play with it straight away! We've got a fun summer treat theme, with ice cream and bright colors. The kit isn't sold out yet, so you can still grab it and enjoy the goodies! This month, the kit included Bo Bunny patterned paper, 2 distress markers, a piece of Tim Holtz distress watercolor paper and a few cute die-cuts.



Now onto my card... I created a standard top-folding A2 card base by cutting and scoring a piece of yellow cardstock from the kit in half.

I started by stamping the ice-cream onto the distress watercolor paper with MFT Hybrid Ink in black licorice. I colored a part of it in Peacock Feathers (which came in the kit), and used Gathered Twigs distress marker for the brown. I also stamped a little heart from the kit stamp and colored it in with Festive Berries. After it was dry, I carefully cut it out with scissors.

I wanted to play with some fun dies, so I pulled out Mama Elephant Femme frames to create a scalloped background panel out of the Bo Bunny paper from the kit. I adhered it to the card front.

I cut a tag out of white cardstock in the kit using Lawn Fawn's Tag You're It die. To tie in the rest of the card, I die-cut a small circle from the sunshine cardstock, and glued it to the top of the tag. I also added a bit of Lawn Fawn lime twine at the top.

I used the new Simon Says Stamp Frames die to cut a panel out of the yellow cardstock. The really cool thing about this new frames die is that it cut 2 pieces - a really thin frame and a matching decorative label. I decided to leave the label for the sentiment and use the frame on the tag to bring more attention to the ice-cream.

I stamped the sentiment from the kit stamp in plain black. It looked a bit too simple, so I used the Peacock Feathers distress marker to stamp the circle heart. I filled in the heart with festive berries marker. Once it was dry, I cut it out with a 1/2"round punch and adhered it under the sentiment with foam squares.

Using a glue pen, I adhered the thin frame to the tag, then popped up the ice-cream with some foam squares. I adhered it to the top of the label, then adhered the whole panel to the front of the card.

Supplies:
Simon Says Stamp August 2014 card kit
Simon Says Stamp Frames die
My Favorite Things Hybrid Ink in black licorice
Distress markers in Gathered Twigs and Festive Berries
Mama Elephant Femme Frames die
Lawn Fawn Tag You're It die
Lawn Fawn Lime Single Cord twine
1/2" circle paper punch
Scrapbook Adhesives 3D foam squares
Tombow Mono Liquid glue pen

2 comments:

  1. The first thing which jumped out at me with this card was the bright happy colours you've chosen. It is just wonderful. I love your use of the different dies too. It all just works. A feasts for the eyes...and even though it's cold and I'm snuggled up next to the heater, I really want an icecream. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes an ice-cream sounds so delicious, even if the weather is completely contrary.

      I'm so glad you like the card! The kit makes it so easy to match the colors (they do a really marvelous job of providing matching tones in the kit), so it's like half the work is done already. :D

      Delete