Saturday, September 20, 2014

Winne & Walter: Fall Birthday

Looking through my slowly growing stash of cards, I noticed that I'm once again very low on masculine cards - whether it be birthday or other occasion. So, I decided to remedy this by creating a few fun cards.

For this card, I used a wonderful new set by Winnie & Walter called A Tree for All Seasons. This is a larger set (6x8"), and it's filled with lots of sentiments and details you can use for the autumn season, or all year round. It also features a lovely silhouette tree trunk that I thought would look perfect on a masculine card.

I started by grabbing my BigShot and using Mama Elephant's Femme Frames dies to cut a scalloped rectangle out Fancy Pants Happy-Go-Lucky patterned paper and a stitched rectangle out of white cardstock.

The white looked too stark and contrasted against the patterned paper, so I grabbed two distress inks: Tea Dye and Vintage Photo, and used them around the edges of the paper. I mainly focused on the edges, not going too far into the middle of the panel.

I then stamped the tree trunk in brown ink. I wanted a subtle effect for the leaves, so I used second generation stamping to add yellow, orange and brown leaves using a leaf bunch stamp. Second generation stamping is where you ink up your stamp, stamp it once on a piece of scrap paper and then stamp it a second time onto your card. It gives a much more faded and subtle effect, which is perfect for the times you want a lighter and less defined color.

I made the colors more dark and intense near the middle of the trunk and left the outside lighter.

I stamped the sentiment underneath in the same brown ink as the trunk. I created the card base out of a piece of grout gray cardstock, by cutting and scoring it into a standard top-folding A2 card (4 1/4 by 5 1/2").  I adhered the patterned paper to the base with my standard dot adhesive, then adhered the center panel with foam squares.

The card needed a little something extra, so I added 3 enamel dots near the sentiment.

Supplies:
Winnie & Walter A Tree for All Seasons stamp set
Stampin' Up Classic Inkpads in: Soft Suede, Pumpkin Pie and Hello Honey
Ranger Distress Inkpads in Tea Dye and Vintage Photo
Fancy Pants Happy-Go-Lucky 6x6 patterned paper
Mama Elephant Femme Frames dies
MFT Heavyweight Cardstock in Grout Gray
Stampin' Up Dimensionals foam squares
Prima Everyday Vintage enamel dots

2 comments:

  1. Masculine cards are also short in my stash too. I don't often think to make masculine cards. I think it is because I, in general, just make cards that I like. lol Your card is classic and clean. The warm, rich colours do make the perfect masculine card. The little enamel dots were a lovely finishing touch. The stamp set is gorgeous! All your cards should came with an enabling alert! :) Thanks for the burst of inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I really should plaster a big "Enabler alert!" every time I grab a new stamp set. LOL!

      I'm glad you like the card. I know masculine can sometimes be a hit-or-miss, but I really ought to have a solid stash of them. My family's got a lot of boys and men in it, so masculine cards really do come in handy.

      Delete