Wednesday, July 8, 2015

OHC 22- Red



I've occasionally come across questions about which color I find difficult to color with, and I've always replied that I don't really have one. And it's true! I love all colors and I'm happy to work with all of them, even if I tend to mainly gravitate toward bright colors. I've used red, for example, as a fabulous accent color and as the main color for many Christmas cards. So, it was never on my radar as a challenging color to use... until this card!

When I picked theme 22 from OHC (red), I thought this was going to be one easy-peasy and quick card that's bright and happy. But once I got down to coloring and choosing my papers, it was a lot more difficult than I'd thought. Red is a very commanding color and can even look aggressive. So, to use it as a main color on a card took a bit of extra thought.

I printed the adorable Giddy Tia digi from Some Odd Girl and colored her in with Copics. I chose to accent the red in her dress with golden yellow and gave her white hair - just to be a bit different. Once that was done, I carefully cut her out with a pair of scissors and set her aside to work on the rest of the card.


I grabbed a medium grey card top-folding A2 card base (4¼x5½") and adhered a piece of red patterned paper to the front. Then I added a gray strip of paper to break up the color a bit. Adding that gray did soften the red a little more and added just the touch of neutrality I needed.

For my decorations, I used a bright red doily from Doodlebug and some enamel dots I had in my stash. I adhered everything together and added Tia.

For the sentiment, I die-cut the word "happy" from a die and added "day" in alphabet stickers.

In the end, the card turned out a bit Christmas-y and definitely not the deep rich red masterpiece I'd envisioned before starting. But I think Giddy Tia makes it a super happy and cheerful card nonetheless.

Before I go, here's a sneak peak of my guest DT project over at Some Odd Girl blog. Please check it out! I had a lot of fun creating it. :)

Thanks for reading!!
~Elle~

2 comments:

  1. Red can definitely be a tricky colour but you've totally nailed it with this card! The doily looks like such a fun addition too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a whole bunch of these doilies from Doodlebug in a veritable rainbow of colors. So, I've been trying to use them up! Hopefully it's not starting to look too repetitive. XD

      Delete