Saturday, February 7, 2015

Love Potion

 
I love chunky horizontal stripes. I love seeing them, I love using them and I've got quite a collection of them. In fact, while I was organizing my supplies, I found several paper pads that were bought pretty much because they had a paper with big horizontal stripes (oops!). But as much as I love them, they can be a little challenging to use.

Take today's card for example... I wanted to make a love card, so I started by creating a standard A2 card base out of some pink cardstock. Then I die-cut a bold gray&white striped panel to go on top. I adhered the two of them together and ended up with a very bold and somewhat masculine look - which wasn't quite working with the initial design I had in mind for my card.

But, I took this as a challenge and tried to come up with a way to make the card work anyway.

I started by die-cutting a piece of Lawn Fawn's Wild Rose Dance paper with the smaller Stitched Party Banners die. However, the die covered up too much of the striped paper, so I shortened it by running it through my Bigshot again with the medium Scalloped Border. While I had my Bigshot out, I also die-cut a stitched circle and a banner for my sentiment.

I stamped a flask from Science of Love in black ink just inside the stitched circle. I quickly colored it in with my Copics, creating a small halo around it with light pink and purple markers to make it stand out a little more. I added some details with my white gel pen. I stamped the swirly heart trail just above it in pink ink that matched the card base. I also stamped the sentiment in black ink and a little pink heart next to it.

I tied a piece of black satin ribbon around the top of the stitched banner panel. This added a bit of extra dramatic flair and drew attention to the panel. I adhered the white circle to the banner panel with foam tape, then added it to the card. I also added the sentiment panel, which nestled just perfectly inside one of the dark grey stripes.

Lastly, I grabbed a few sequins from Let's Polka mix. The pink and grey sequins worked just perfectly with my color scheme.

And there you have it. It's different from my original design - much more bold, but I like it just the same.

Supplies:
Lawn Fawn - Science of Love stamp
Lawn Fawn - Stitched Party Banners die
Lawn Fawn - Stitched  Scalloped Borders die
Lawn Fawn - Stitched Journaling Card die (sentiment)
My Favorite Things Hybrid Ink in Black Licorice
My Favorite Things Blueprints 15 die
Stampin' Up Classic Inkpad in Blushing Bride
Neenah Solar White #110lbs cardstock
Avery Elle Heavyweight cardstock in Pixie
Lawn Fawn - Wild Rose Dance 12x12 paper from Let's Polka collection
Lawn Fawn Let's Polka sequin mix
Copics: B41, B05, R81, R85, R11, V01
Black Satin Ribbon 3/8"
3M Double-Sided Foam Tape
Sakura Gellyroll white gel pen
Ranger Studio Multi-Mate glue

No comments:

Post a Comment