Tuesday, February 3, 2015

OHC 02 - Turquoise


It's time for another entry in my One Hundred Cards challenge! If you're not familiar with this challenge, you can read about it here.

When I first pulled out theme #2 (Turquoise), I was really torn on what I wanted to do. I couldn't decide between making a card just based on the turquoise color and making a card based on the turquoise stone. So, I made two cards. The cards are very different, but have similar elements -- turquoise, brown and white colors, like the stone; and a simple/clean look.

Both of these cards use The Big, the Bold and the Happy stamp set from Winnie & Walter. If you're not familiar with Winnie & Walter, they've got some really amazing stamp sets - especially the Big/Bold series, which has several scripty words combined with a classic typewritten font.

For this first card, I went for a turquoise card base in a top-folding standard A2 size (4¼ by 5½"). I adhered a piece of striped patterned paper to the left side, then got to work on the front panel.

I cut down a piece of white cardstock to measure 3¼ by 5½". I added a touch of color with Watercolor Grid Texture stamp and Splatter I stamp from Impression Obsession. These two stamps are fantastic for adding a watercolor look, while at the same time letting you use your inkpads and be as precise as you need to with splatter placement.

I stamped the "hello" sentiment from The Big, the Bold and the Happy in brown ink, then adhered the panel to the card base. Lastly, I added a few clear sequins.

Supplies:
Winnie & Walter - The Big, the Bold and the Happy stamp
Impression Obsession - Watercolor Grid Texture stamp
Impression Obsession - Splatter 1 stamp
Heidi Swapp - September Skies 6x6 patterned paper
Simon Says Stamp Heavyweight Cardstock in Audrey Blue
Neenah Solar White cardstock in #110 lbs
Stampin' Up Classic Inkpad in Bermuda Bay and Soft Suede
Pretty Pink Posh - Sparkling Clear sequins in 6mm and 4mm.

For the second card, I drew inspiration from the the striation on turquoise stones. I really wanted to recreate this look, so I grabbed the Waves stencil from Simon Says Stamp. The thin, wavy lines would work perfectly with the effect I was hoping to achieve.

After creating a standard A2 card base (4¼ by 5½"), I grabbed my Bigshot and cut out two stitched rectangle -- one from a brown cardstock that would match the sentiment, and the other out of white cardstock. I adhered the brown rectangle straight to the card base.

I laid the Waves stencil onto the white panel and used my mini blending tool to apply Peacock Feathers distress ink to the image. After I finished, I removed the stencil and I had a lovely striated look.

I stamped the sentiment in brown ink. Although I wanted a really simple and bold card, it felt like something was missing. So, I die-cut three tiny hearts from peach paper and adhered them to the base. I used a combination of standard adhesive and foam tape.

I adhered the front panel to the card base with foam tape. And voila! Card was done.

Supplies:
Winnie & Walter - The Big, The Bold and the Happy stamp
Simon Says Stamp - Waves stencil
Simon Says Stamp Heavyweight cardstock in Audrey Blue
My Favorite Things Premium Cardstock in Peach Bellini
Paper Smooches Wise Dies - Tiny Hearts
Stampin' Up Cardstock in Soft Suede
Stampin' Up Classic Inkpad in Soft Suede
Ranger Distress Inkpad in Peacock Feathers
Ranger Mini Round Blending Tool
3M Double-sided foam tape

No comments:

Post a Comment