Saturday, February 1, 2014

Warm Wishes



One of my friends came down with a really nasty bout of flu, and I wanted to make a get-well card to cheer her up. But after reaching into my stamp bin, I realized I don't have any get-well sets. I did, however, recently buy Mama Elephant's Cup of Wishes stamp set and I've just been itching to use it.

The stamp set comes with several small stamps that can be used to create patterns and shapes to really make the cup stand out. I chose something relatively simple (scallop edge and a dot), but there are many possible ways do dress up the cup.

The card itself is relatively simple, but it was a challenge to make it look right. I don't know if it's just the stamp itself, or if I've been stamping it wrong, but it took several tries to get the "Warm" part of the image to stamp correctly. I used both a general acrylic block and my Fiskars stamping press, but the ar in Warm just would not stamp. It finally stamped on the 3rd try, though it did not stamp as cleanly as I wanted it to. All that extra pressure made some edges look fuzzy.

The rest of the card went pretty smoothly. I like how the colors on the cup turned out. I used 2 different watercolor pencils to create some dimension, and I think it turned out nice. I may have to pick up a larger set of pencils just to have more color variety.

Supplies:
Base - Bazzill Peanut Fudge
Blue layer paper - Neenah Creative Collection - colonial blue
Pattern paper - Little Yellow Bicycle
Stamp - Mama Elephant: Cup of Wishes
Ink - Ranger Archival Ink in cobalt (warm) and coffee (cup)
White paper - Bazzill Marshmallow
Watercolor Pencils
Die - Lawn Fawn Stitched Journaling Card
Rhinestone - KaiserScrapbook Rhinestones
Foam Squares - Best Creation

2 comments:

  1. Elle, don't you hate it when stamps won't stamp quite right! I do! Have you tried putting something like a mouse mat or magazine under the paper. Sometimes you just need a little bit of a cushion. As for the fuzzy lines, you can't tell at all...and the overall look is so great! Your poor sick friend is going to LOVE it. Will really cheer her up! Water colouring is one of my favourite methods of colouring cards too. Love it! Super relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely have to try putting something under the paper. I've just been using my cutting mat as a work surface, but it's probably not a cushion-y surface. Thank you for the tip! Nothing more frustrating than having a great stamp and having it come out all wrong...

      Thanks so much for your comment, Kylie!

      Delete