Friday, April 25, 2014

Book/Journal Dad

Card #2 in the Masculine series is a simple "Dad" card.

For this card, I wanted to go with something a bit more simple. The fun thing about this card is that it can be used for many occasions - depending entirely on what you write inside the card. It can make for a great Father's Day card, or a birthday card, or even just a "hi, I love you" card. The best thing about this card, though, is that it came out looking like an old book or journal. How awesome is that?

I started by figuring out what embellishments I wanted to use on this card. It may seem a bit odd to start with the embellishments, but I find that it's easiest to convey masculinity with linearity and simplicity. After pulling out a stray brown button, some brown ribbon and hemp twine, I found a pack of photo corners that I won in a holiday giveaway.I don't scrapbook, so photo corners are really not something I would make a lot of use out of. But they looked like they would make a really different decorative piece, so I decided to use them.

I cut a piece of brown cardstock to 4"x5.25" - slightly smaller than a card base. I placed an oval in the upper half of the panel and ran it through my Bigshot. At the bottom, I glued a piece of patterned paper, followed by the ribbon and hemp twine. I tied the button to the twine and used a bit of glue to make sure it stays in place. I added the photo corners to all 4 corners of the panel.

I stamped the big, bold "Dad" on the card base, then adhered the panel with foam squares. Lastly, I added a few dots around the panel cut out with my white gel pen.

Supplies:
Base: Bazzill Taffy card stock
Paper: Bazzill Chocolate card stock, Kaisercraft Hunt and Gather 6.5x6.5
Stamp: Simon Says Stamp Father's Day
Ink: Memento Luxe in Expresso Truffle
American Crafts Amy Tangerine flat boxed ribbon
Hemptique Natural Hemp Cord twine
Scrapbook Adhesives Photo corners
Scrapbook Adhesives  Foam Squares
Button
White Gel Pen

2 comments:

  1. Elle, this is wonderful and as you say, soooo versatile. And with a different colour scheme you could make a wedding card, or even a sympathy card. I never thought of starting with embellishments but that is a great idea as it gives direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I look at it, it also seems like a picture album cover - which is such a fabulous idea for a wedding card!

      Thanks so much for commenting, Kylie. You've really got my creative wheels spinning. :)

      Delete