Tuesday, April 29, 2014

PS - What's Up?

This is the 5th and last card in my masculine card series.


I created this card especially for the current Sparks challenge, which is based on this sketch:
Challenges are a fantastic way to get more experience with making cards that fit a specific theme. Not only do you get to be creative with the stamps you own, but you also have a chance to be inspired by other participants.

Now onto the card itself...

I started by inking up the astronaut, planets and the alien spaceship from Paper Smooches Space Cadet and stamped it on some white Copic marker blending paper. I colored them in using my Copics and carefully cut them out. I cut a piece of patterned paper to 4x5.5" and adhered it to the card base.

For the rocket, I first die-cut a tag from light gray cardstock. I trimmed it to measure about 3 inches. Then, I cut a circle from a darker gray cardstock and glued it to the straight edge of the tag. I cut 2 dark grey triangles and glued them to the sides of the rocket.

The rocket looked too plain, so I used my Copics to add a bit more color, texture and some shading. I drew a few highlights with a white gel pen. Then, I attached a few pieces of red, orange and yellow ribbon to the rocket tail. I used a piece of red and white twine to keep the ribbon together.

After adhering all the elements to the card, I embossed a simple greeting with silver embossing powder. However, because of the star patter on the paper, it was getting lost. So, I outlined it in white gel pen and added a small black shadow under the letters.

Supplies:
Stamps: Paper Smooches Space Cadet, Paper Smooches Good Gab (sentiment)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Versamark Water Resist
Embossing: Ranger Super Fine Embossing Powder in Silver
Cardstock: Bazzill Marshmallow (base), Bazzill Rock Candy, Bazzill Taffy
Copics: Rocket (W2, W4, W6, B45, B99), Astronaut (W2, W4, W6, W8, B45, B99, R08, R59), Planets (B00, BG01, BG45, G21, G67, BG11, BG32, V12, V06, R46, R59, Y35, YR15, YR68), Alien (B00, BG01, B45, YG00, YG06, G07, W2, W4, @6, Y35, YR15, YR68)
Ribbon & Bakers' Twine
White Gel Pen

13 comments:

  1. I haven't been over to the PS Sparks blog yet to see what others have done but I don't think I need to as this has WINNER written all over it. Seriously, Elle, this is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! My fingers are totally crossed for this week, but there are so many wonderfully creative and amazing card makers out there that the competition is pretty stiff.

      I'm just really happy with how the card came out. It was one of those spur-of-the-moment creative flashes that just pulled everything together. :D

      Delete
    2. Soooooo excited for you, Elle! As soon as I saw the tweet I *knew* you'd be the winner! It's well deserved too. Elle, think this is only just the start of amazing things coming your way. Woohoo!

      Delete
    3. Oh my gosh, I'm absolutely over the moon! This is amazing!!! :D

      I've been doing the whole giddy happy-dance-beaming-smiles thing ever since I found out about it. Now the tough part will be figuring out what to do next!

      Delete
    4. Shop! ;) lol It is just wonderful! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow!! The detail here is simple AMAZING! The background is just stunning and the popped up words are so fun!! Seriously, from each corner to the next, this is just an amazing card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Clare! I found the designer sketch so inspiring, I had a blast making this card. :)

      Delete
  3. I just LOVE your card! I wanted to let you know that I’ve chosen your creation as one of my Weekly Picks and linked back to your blog! Thanks so much for sharing your talent. Kathy at stampsatplay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kathy! I'm super excited and very grateful. :)

      Delete
  4. WOW!! I LOVE this Card!! Such and AWESOME Design!! This is one of my FAVORITE Cards this week as well!! I just LOVE your take on the Sketch!! THANKS for sharing and have a FABULOUS WEEKEND!! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm so glad you like it, Larissa! I'm really proud of how it turned out.

      Have a great weekend, too! :)

      Delete
  5. LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this card! I love how you created the rocket with the ribbon flames--- love your coloring and how you added detail to make the sentiment pop! FAB take on this sketch:) THANKS so much for joining in the fun with the Paper Smooches SPARKS challenge <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Savannah! I'm really glad you like it. It was one of my favorite challenges, and I'm so excited and happy to have been chosen a winner this time around. :)

      Delete