Saturday, April 26, 2014

SSS- This Stinks

Card #3 in the masculine cards series.

This card was inspired by a friend of mine. We were talking about cards and about how men usually mostly get cards for other men only during big events (birthdays, weddings, etc). My friend happened to comment that it's because other occasions cards sound kind of sappy and overly verbose - especially when all you want to say is "That sucks."

So, here's a simple and casual card for such an occasion. This card took a very short time to make (~15 minutes), which is great if you're in a rush.

After stamping and coloring in the skunk with my Copics, I carefully cut him out and got to working on the background. I cut watercolor paper to 3.75x5". I used distress inks to create the watercolor background (if you're not familiar with this technique, check out this video). Once the initial color was dry, I splattered a few water drops on it to add a bit of texture and color contrast.

I adhered the panel to a black card base, then mounted the skunk toward the middle of the panel using foam squares. I created a custom "dude" at the top of the card with stickers, and stamped a simple sentiment to the bottom of the card.

Lastly, I used my Copics to add a bit of shadow under the skunk so it doesn't look like he's floating. A few subtle stinky wiggle lines, and the card is done!

Since this card is clean and simple, I'm entering it in the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge.

Supplies:
Cardstock: Bazzill Licorice
Paper: Strathmore Watercolor Paper
Copics: W2, W4, W6, W8, B91
Stamp: Simon Says Stamp Stinkin' Cute
Ink: Distress Ink in Evergreen Bough, Broken China and Vintage Photo (background), My Favorite Things Hybrid Ink in Black Licorice (sentiment), Memento Tuxedo Black (skunk)
Jillibean Soup Alphabeans in Apple Green

7 comments:

  1. OMGoodness, how cute is this? super duper cute, luv it, your skunk is darlin. So glad you played along with Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

    sparkle & shine *~*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Teresa! It's a fun theme this week, and I'm glad to have been able to participate. :)

      Delete
  2. You are so right, Elle! Actually, this is true for women too...sometimes things just stink. I think this might be one of my favourite cards of yours. I love the composition and that background is amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! It was a card that I didn't spend too much time planning or fussing with, and I think that created a totally different kind of feel. And it's a great reminder to myself that not every card has to take hours to come out great.

      It's funny, but almost every new card I make becomes my favorite. I just love creating! :D

      Delete
    2. Don't ever stop!! Love stopping by and seeing your creations. :) And you are right, not everything has to take a long time and still be awesome.

      Delete
  3. Wow! This is awesome! Love the coloring and the beautiful details.
    What a wonderful project, all of the details are stunning!It's very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind comment, Alrik. I'm thrilled to see that my project inspired someone else. You've totally made my day! :)

      Delete