Saturday, May 10, 2014

Make A Wish

I recently got some gorgeous sequins from Pretty Pink Posh, and I wanted to make a simple card that puts emphasis on sequins.

This is actually the second card I made with this general idea. The first was much more elaborate, using watercolors and a lot of stamping, and I ended up not liking it. I wanted the dandelions to be the focus of the card, and they just felt like an afterthought the first time around.

So, I started by cutting a piece of patterned paper with a subtle texture (it's actually written "a wonderful day" again and again in soft blue). I matted it to a piece of black cardstock for contrast and adhered it to my base.

I drew the dandelion stalks with pen and glued Winter Snow Mix sequins to the end using my Ranger Studio multi-medium. This glue is great because it dries clear and it's not at all shiny like glossy accents. If you're like me, occasionally you'll end up having to slide the sequin around a bit. With glossy accents, you get a shiny spot on the card that is a pain to photograph. So, a strong glue that dries clear and matte is fantastic.

I stamped the sentiment using the Monogram Alpha stamp set from the Sweet Stamp Shop. I love the quirkiness of the letters in this stamp set and it perfectly matches the hand-drawn lines in the dandelions.

Lastly, I made a small bookmark tag for the top of the sentiment and added a wood veneer heart.

Supplies:
Sequins: Pretty Pink Posh Winter Snow Mix
Stamp: Sweet Stamp Shop Monogram Alpha
Ink: Memento Luxe in Nautical Blue
Ranger Studio Multi-Medium Matte
Base: Simon Says Stamp 100#lb in Fog
Paper: Bazzill Black Licorice, Webster's Pages Party Time! 6x6, Bazzill Rock Candy (bookmark tag)
Studio Calico Hearts & Arrows wood veneer

2 comments:

  1. So simple and elegant. :) Thanks for the tip with the matte medium, Elle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And thank you for the comment.

      I'm pushing myself to try a lot of different kinds of cards. Sometimes simple is better -- especially when it's creative and can be made a few times. I think I'm going to make a set of these dandelion cards for a friend. :D

      Delete