Saturday, May 17, 2014

Vintage Octopus

I have a soft spot for vintage things, especially if they're Victorian vintage. As a result, I find myself drawn to vintage things and buying many vintage-inspired crafting supplies. And yet, I don't think I've ever made a vintage card. Maybe I felt intimidated, or maybe I just needed to find the right inspiration.

But taking another look at the gentlemanly Mr. Octopus inspired me to try vintage. And this card was made.

I started by stamping the octopus in brown ink and coloring him with my Copics. I grabbed a piece of brown card-stock cut to 4x5.25" and used it as a panel for all the other elements. I cut a piece of striped paper to 3.45x5" and adhered it to the brown cardstock. I layered another piece of paper at an angle.

For the sentiment, I cut out a frame from one of the papers and matted it to the same brown cardstock as the pannel. I stamped a simple sentiment from Simon Says Stamp's Perfect Love stamp set. I also cut out a few feathers from the same paper as the middle panel.To make the feathers more visible, I used Vintage Photo distress ink around some of the edges.

I layered the feathers onto the sentiment panel, then added a paper flower. A last touch was a few pearls, scattered to pull in the pearls on the paper flower.

Supplies:
Stamps: Some Odd Girl - Mr. Octopus, Simon Says Stamp - Perfect Love
Ink: MFT Hybrid Ink in Hot Fudge (octopus) and Black Licorice (Sentiment), Ranger Distress Ink in Vintage Photo
Base: MFT Primitive Cream card stock
Paper: Bazzill Chocolate Canvas card stock, Prima Cartographer 6x6, Prima The Stationer's Desk 6x6
Simon Says Stamp Feathers Craft Die 
Copics: E11, E92, E23, E35, E57, E59, E79
Prima Flowers Cartographer - Sightseer paper flowers
Melissa Frances Cream Pearls

4 comments:

  1. This is really stunning. What a clever idea to create this using vintage colors and coordinating embellishes! Glad you joined us at the May Linky Party at Some Odd Girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa! I'm so glad you like it. :)

      Delete
  2. I have already told you on FB but i ADORE this card!!! Love the vintage feel! Would have never thought of using it this way! Great idea! Thanks for sharing so we can stare at it forever lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thank you for the comment! I'm happy you like it. :)

      Delete