Saturday, August 16, 2014

Galaxy Halloween

I'm super excited for Lawn Fawn's upcoming release. I think I want everything that they've shown, and at least 2 of each paper packs. But the release is still a couple of weeks away, so I decided to dig through my existing Lawn Fawn stamps and come up with a fun card.

I started by pulling out the Critters in Costume stamp set. I didn't buy this set last year, since it wouldn't have shipped in time for Halloween. But I grabbed it this year, with intentions of making some adorable Halloween treats. Seeing the cute witch cat and the broom inspired me to go for a starry sky scene.

I started by stamping the cat and the broom from Critters in Costume onto some Copic marker paper. I colored them in with my Copics. The set does have coordinating dies, but I didn't want a white border this time, so I fussy-cut the two images by hand.

I used Lawn Fawn's Stitched Journaling Card die to cut a stitched rectangle out of plain white cardstock. I used an embossing pillow to get rid of any static, then used the star stamp from the critters set to stamp a bunch of cute stars around the panel. There was no special placement or anything. I just made sure they didn't overlap and that they stayed inside the stitched rectangle border.

I used Ranger Super Fine Silver embossing powder on the stars, then hit them with my heat tool until the powder melted.

 Then I got to work on the background - and this is where the real fun starts!

I took a long strip of Post it tape and tore it in half - tearing toward me and making sure it wasn't torn completely straight. I put these on the background panel and covered the rest of the panel. This left me with an irregular-looking section. Using my mini foam applicator, layered on some Wild Honey distress ink. When I was happy with the color, I switched to Picked Raspberry and sponged just a little on the left side, and quite a bit on the right side of the panel.

I then unpeeled the tape - which is so much fun! It left me with a fantastic area that had a very defined wiggly edge. I switched to the Salty Ocean ink now, and started sponging the white edges of the panel. I worked from the outside in, being very careful not to put too much heavy color or blending near the orange area -- this would make the colors become all muddy.

I then switched to Chipped Sapphire and Dusty Concord, making the edges deeper and darker. I wanted a sort of two-tone look, so I focused the dark blue on the left, and the purple on the right. I went back to Wild Honey and Picked Raspberry and added just a bit more color around the orange strip to smooth it out. I think it added a pretty neat glow.

Once that was done, I wanted to add more stars. So, I took out my Sakura Souffle pens and added some turquoise, yellow and purple dots. Small tip: you can just hold the pen down lightly pressed to dispense more ink, and it will make for a larger dot. One of the things you have to be careful with the Souffle pens is that they seem pretty dark when first applied, but they dry to be much lighter. I took a minute or so break between each color to make sure I wasn't adding too many dot stars. I let it dry completely.

I created a simple A2 card base from white cardstock and adhered the galaxy panel with foam squares. I then adhered the cat and broom, trying to make it look like the cat was riding it. I messed up a bit with which of its paws should have been forward, but oh well. I still like it. :D

Lastly, I stamped the sentiment from the stamp set under the panel in purple ink.

Supplies:
Lawn Fawn Critters in Costume stamp
Lawn Fawn Stitched Journaling Card die
My Favorite Things Hybrid Ink in Chocolate Brown
Copic Mini Marker Pad 70lbs
Neenah Solar White in 80lbs (panel) and 110 lbs (base)
Distress inks in Wild Honey, Picked Raspberry, Salty Ocean, Chipped Sapphire and Dusty Concord)
Ranger Mini Foam Blending Tools
Sakura Souffle pens (turquoise, yellow, purple)
Copics (E33, E39, Y11, Y15, Y35, C4, BV25, BV29, BV01, BV04, BV08, YG09, G07)
Post-it tape
Stampin' Up Dimensionals
Stampin' Up Rich Razzleberry Inkpad

2 comments:

  1. I know!! The new LF release is amazing! My wish list is ENORMOUS! *sigh* lol I love this! Halloween isn't big over here but I am a sucker for all the Halloween images, colours, etc. And this is gorgeous! The background looks amazing! The whole card looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to pace myself and get things based on what I need most, but then whenever I look at the products, I feel like I need *everything*! And it doesn't help that Simon Says Stamp is going to be holding their Stamptember event next month, too, with oooodles of amazing new stamps and products... I'm going to blow my budget next month... by a lot. XD

      Thank you! I just love how the card turned out. The background was a completely random experiment, but now I'm thinking that I need to play with it lots more and make it an intentional design. :D

      Delete