Friday, August 15, 2014

Layered Thanks

I really admire Shari Caroll's card-making style. It's clean, colorful, and makes fantastic use of layering. I also love that she makes use of patterned paper and die-cuts, which always gets me thinking about how I can make use of all the decorative bits that are collecting in my craft closet.

With this card, I wanted to try out a similar layered look.

I started by stamping the circular woodgrain stamp from WPlus9's Woodgrain Silhouettes stamp in Stampin' Up's Bermuda Bay ink. I really liked the look of woodgrain paired with a teal color - I think it gives an unusual look. After stamping, I carefully cut around the image, leaving a small white border.

For the patterned paper, I decided to use My Mind's Eye Mint Julep 6x6. Even though the colors did not match Bermuda Bay ink exactly, I thought the general tones complemented the color very well. I cut a strip of the striped paper with one of the dies from MFT's Blueprints 13.

While I had my Bigshot out, I also cut out a decorative tag from Simon Says Stamps Medium Tags dies, as well as a small "thanks" from Simon Says Stamp's Thanks die. Since the thanks die is so small and intricate, I used a metal adapter to cut it out just perfectly.

I created the card base by cutting and scoring a piece of white cardstock for a top-folding A2 card (measuring 4 1/4 by 5 1/2"). I also cut a smaller panel out of the same white cardstock, measuring 3 3/4 by 5". I decided to use this smaller panel as the center panel of the card, rather than making it a single-layer.

It was time to layer all the elements together. I adhered the patterned paper piece straight onto the white panel with my standard dot adhesive. I then adhered the tag using foam squares. I noticed that it was blending a bit too much into the background, so I used a white gel pen to add a dotted line just inside the tag edges.

For the woodgrain piece, I used a combination of dot adhesive (where it covered the tag) and foam squares (where it touched the patterned paper). I used Tombow mono-multi liquid glue in a few spots on the thanks die-cut, and adhered it straight onto the tag and woodgrain piece. I left the ends without adhesive, as they're raised from the card.

Lastly, I scattered a few coral pink enamel dots around the design. And there you have it! It was fun to immerse in someone else's style for a card, and I hope I did it justice.

Supplies:
WPlus9 Woodgrain Silhouettes stamp
Stampin' Up Bermuda Bay ink
Neenah Solar White cardstock in 110#lbs (card base) and 80 #lbs (panel)
My Mind's Eye Jubilee collection Mint Julep 6x6
My Favorite Things Blueprints 13
Simon Says Stamp Medium Tags dies
Simon Says Stamp Thanks die
My Favorite Things Large Metal Adapter
Tombow Dot Adhesive (pink)
Tombow Mono-Multi Liquid glue
Stampin' Up Dimensionals
Freckled Fawn Pinks Enamel Dots

2 comments:

  1. Wow, so different from what we are used to seeing from you but it is equally as gorgeous. From the colours to the design, you've just nailed this card. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was incredibly different to make! I'm so used to "flying by the seat of my pants" as my mom calls it when it comes to card design. I just jump into making the card, and figure out how it fits together as I make it.

      But a style like this... you really have to plan out everything first. So, it was a very different way to create. But I did actually enjoy it quite a bit. I might make something else in that same style again. It should be fun, anyway. :D

      Delete