Friday, August 8, 2014

Stamp Trio: Hennah Water


 It's been a little while since I've done my Stamp Trio challenge, where I take one stamp set and use it to create 3 very different cards. This time, I decided to use Altenew's Hennah Elements stamp. Hennah Elements has flowers and swirls that are very clear and bold, as well as plenty of flourishes and small decorative elements.

Normally, stamp trio challenge has me creating 3 different card that could be masculine, feminine or neutral. With Hennah Elements, however, I want to focus more on coloring techniques. So, all 3 of the cards in this challenge will be thank you cards with graphics elements from the stamp set. But I will be using different coloring techniques for each card.

For the first card, I decided to use watercolor. I've been wanting to practice watercolor for a while now, as I feel like I've still got tons to learn.

I started by taping down a piece of Tim Holtz distress watercolor paper and stamping the 3 flowers and 2 large leaves in Ranger Archival Jet Black ink. I colored in the flowers using Festive Berries distress marker and water. Since I wanted to add a little depth, I used more watter on some petals and less on others.

While the flowers were drying, I used Mowed Lawn distress marker to color in the leaves. I zapped the flowers and the leaves with my heat gun until they were dry, then layered the shadows by scribbling directly on the paper wit the two distress markers. I used very little water to blend out the scribbles, then zapped it with my heat gun again.

I used Spiced Marmalade distress marker to color in the flower centers, adding just a touch of Ripe Persimmon distress ink in some spots for depth. After drying the paper once more, I got to work on the background. I used the Salty Ocean distress marker and a lot of water to create a background on the bottom and left side of the panel, then faded into white in the top/right side.

After the background was dry, I added the color splatters by loading the brush with watercolor and tapping it against my finger (it's messy, but it works!).

The last step was adding a sentiment from Simon Says Stamp's Thanks set. It was still looking a bit plain, so I stamped a decoration from Hennah Elements by the sentiment and two leaf vines between the watercolored flowers.

I cut down the panel so it was even on all sides and adhered it to a standard A2 card base with lots of foam squares.

Supplies:
Altenew Hennah Elements stamp
Simon Says Stamp Thanks stamp
Ranger Archival Ink in Jet Black
Tim Holtz Distress Watercolor cardstock
Distress markers in Festive Berries, Mowed Lawn, Spiced Marmalade, Ripe Persimmon and Salty Ocean
Bazzill Marshmallow cardstock (base)
Scrapbook Adhesives 3D foam squares

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Paola! I'm so glad you like it. :D

      Delete
  2. Love it when you do your Stamp Trio Challenge - and I can't wait to see what you come up with for the next two designs. This is just beautiful, Elle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely my favorite challenge! I can usually come up with 1 card for each set, but challenging myself to come up with 3 is really making me appreciate how versatile different stamp sets are. Plus, I get a nice stash of cards I can give away ot keep fr myself. :D

      Delete