Monday, August 25, 2014

Blog Hop: Warm Wishes Coffee

This card is my second entry to Pretty Pink Posh's Cutting Edge blog hop.
For this card, I decided to use the Hot Concoctions set by Paper Smooches, as well as a few fun dies. I stamped the coffee cup twice onto some Copic marker paper, and colored them in with my Copics. I also stamped out a couple of hearts and colored them in as well. I carefully cut them out and set them aside while I worked on the rest of the card.

The first step was to make a watercolor background. I wanted it to look a bit like the paper was coffee-stained. So, I used the Brushed Corduroy distress marker to create a warm brown-toned wash on some watercolor paper. While it was still wet, I made some splatters with a brush, using Gathered Twigs distress marker for color. This created soft and diffused texture you see in the upper left of the panel. I wanted to make sure there were some detailed drops, as well. I waited for the background to dry, then I splattered some more drops of Gathered Twigs. Then I set it aside to dry completely.

It was time to have fun with dies! I started by grabbing My Favorite Things' Blueprints 13, Mama Elephant's Femme Frames and Pretty Pink Posh's newest Stitched Duo II dies. The awesome thing about all 3 of these dies is that they each make a stitched rectangle of a different size, and they nest together just perfectly!

I cut the biggest panel with Blueprints 13 out of brown cardstock. For the medium panel, I used Femme Frames and a piece of patterned paper. Lastly, I cut a panel from the watercolor background with the rectangle from the Stitched Duo II dies.

Before assembling the card, I adhered the two coffee cups and hearts with Tombow Mono-Multi glue. I also drew in a couple teeny hearts under the red heart. I stamped some curly steam as well as the sentiment in brown ink. Then, I put the card together. I used a combination of my standard dot adhesive and foam tape.

Once all the layers were ready, I adhered it to a white standard top-folding A2 card (4 1/4 by 5 1/2").

Supplies:
Paper Smooches Hot Concoctions
My Favorite Things Hybrid Ink in Black Licorice
My Favorite Things Blueprints 13 dies
Mama Elephant Femme Frames dies
Pretty Pink Posh Stitched Duo II dies
Stampin' Up Classic Inkpad in Baked Brown Sugar
Stampin' Up Cardstock in Baked Brown Sugar
Neenah Solar White 110#lbs Cardstock (base)
Stampin' Up Retro Fresh Designer Paper
Tim Holtz Distress Watercolor Paper
Copics (E81, E42, E35, E37, E29, G12, G24, YG63)
Distress Markers in Brushed Corduroy and Gathered Twigs
Tombow Mono-Multi Liquid glue
Tombow Dot Adhesive (pink)
3M Double-Sided Foam Tape (permanent)

16 comments:

  1. Great color combo on your cute card! Love the striped paper and the coffee-stained detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Denise! It's definitely one of my favorite papers, too. I just love the retro colors and the fun shapes.

      The coffee-stained bg was really fun to make! It was pretty messy, but I like the end result. Nice to do something completely different from what I usually do for backgrounds. :D

      Delete
  2. This rocks, too, Elle! Smashing background! Your patterned paper choice is perfect for this design. Your overall design is just great! And now I think I *need* this Paper Smooches set as well as the Blueprints 13! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Thank you, Kylie. I finally got Blueprints 13 a pretty short while ago - it was the set that appealed to me the most. It's a bit pricier than most dies, but it's got so much versatility that I'm really glad I got it. I also picked up Blueprints 1 just the other week... And I kind of want to buy them all now. My poor wallet! XD

      I do love the Hot Concoctions set. I need to use it more, but I think it will be perfect for holiday cards, too. Cups of hot chocolate?! Yum!

      Delete
    2. I can recommend Blueprints 5 too! lol I hear you. They are a great series of dies. :)

      Delete
    3. I know! I keep going back and forth between which ones I need right away. All of them look super useful...

      Delete
  3. Love this! It's my favorite so far on the hop!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a compliment! Thanks so very much, Terri. You've made my day! :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Francesca! I'm glad you like my card. :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks so very much, Lucinde! It was a messy-but-fun kind of background to make. I'll definitely be playing with that technique again. :D

      Delete
  6. I like your coffee stained background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sue! I liked figuring out how to make it. And it turned out to be pretty simple to make! :D

      Delete
  7. I love the coffee cup colours with your patterned paper mix and the wonderful "coffee stained" background you created is really amazing! What a happy card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kerilyn! The splatter part at the end of the coffee-stained piece is my favorite part. It's a bit messy, but I just love when the watercolor drops onto the paper. :D

      Delete