Thursday, August 28, 2014

Fall Tree Thanks

Simon Says Stamp has a new Work It Wednesday post up, and I definitely wanted to play along! The challenge this month was stamping - which I feel like I should do more of. I get tied up in coloring (Copic or watercolor) so often! It's incredibly fun to color, sure, but it's a long process and it usually means that I can't make more than one card. Since I'd like to eventually give card sets away as a gift, I need to have a few designs that are easier to make multiples of.


This card was inspired by a gorgeous winter watercolor painting I saw recently. The artist had used the watercolor drip technique and lots of color - which produced a really incredible result. I liked the randomness of color and how it looked like a tree even if none of the leaves were defined. So, with a nod to the talented artist, I looked through my many stamps and found something I thought would work.

I started by stamping the tree trunk and the sentiment from Simon Says Stamp's Giving Thanks stamp set, using dark brown ink.

I then grabbed WPlus9's Ink Splats stamp set, and used one of the large ink splotches to create the base foliage. I inked half in yellow and half in orange. I then switched over to the smaller ink splatter and stamped them randomly over the tree for extra detail.

I cut the panel to measure 3 3/4 by 5". While I had my trimmer out, I also cut a piece of matching dark brown cardstock to measure 4 by 5 1/4", which created the perfect frame for the card. Lastly, I cut and scored half of a sheet of white cardstock into a standard A2 card.

I adhered the stamped panel to the dark brown panel with foam tape, then adhered both to the card with my standard adhesive.

Supplies:
Simon Says Stamp Giving Thanks stamp set
WPlus9 Ink Splats stamp set
Stampin' Up Classic Inkpad in Chocolate Chip, Daffodil Delight and Pumpkin Pie
Stampin' Up Cardstock in Chocolate Chip
Neenah Solar White Cardstock in 80#lbs (stamped panel) and 110#lbs (base)
3M Double-Sided Foam Tape
Tombow Dot Adhesive Runner (pink)

6 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea! I have this splatter set and would never have thought of using it in this way! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so very much for your sweet comment, Maureen! I'm so glad you had a chance to check out the card. I love it when an idea pops up to inspire us to use our supplies differently. It always makes me look at all of my other stamps in a completely different light (which is fantastic for creativity). :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! I'm learning that you don't put all of your cards onto Flickr! This is gorgeous - I absolutely love the splatters for the leaves, so creative and the colours are beautiful! I'm so glad to have spotted this in the Simon Linky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kerilyn! *hugs* I probably ought to post all the cards on Flickr too, but it often slips my mind, or I worry that I might be spamming anyone that's following me over there (which is probably a silly thought, but still...).

      I'm so glad you like the card! It was really fun to create, and it's already got me thinking about what unusual ways I can use that splatter stamp next. :)

      Delete
  3. Amazing!! Creative! Clever! Sensational! :)

    ReplyDelete