Thursday, August 21, 2014

Mama Elephant - Cupcake (and some exciting news)

Okay, before I get to the card today, I've got a bit of news...

Ta-da! My cute kraft boat card was the challenge winner this week!!! Oh, I'm so excited! And amazed, and a bunch of other bubbly good feelings. And! I just read that Avery Elle's going to be releasing a bundle of new stamps and dies, not to mention a bunch of new inks (!) and a new patterned paper pack in early September. How awesome is that?!?

Okay, now that my super exciting morning news are done (and yes, I'm still bubbling with excitement), let's get on with the card.



 As you might already know from my previous posts, I'm a HUGE fan of Torico's work -- both as a card maker and a stamp designer for Birdie Brown. So, when I read that Torico was doing a special collaboration with Mama Elephant for two new stamp sets, I bought them right away. And, of course, I had to make a card as soon as I got the set.

I started by stamping several cute elements from both Carnival Cupcakes and Carnival Toppers onto Copic marker paper, using MFT's hybrid ink. I colored them in with my Copics and added some polka dots and accents with a white gel pen. The two sets do have matching dies, but I didn't pick them up yet. So, I used my trusty scissors.

I created the card base from MFT's Primitive Cream cardstock - by cutting and scoring it in half to create a standard A2 card (4 1/4 by 5 1/2").

I wanted to have a sweet kind of look with a touch of country, so I chose to use My Mind's Eye Ashbury Heights paper. I cut a base layer from black polkadot paper, and another layer from the cream paper using Mama Elephant's Femme Frames. I then cut a smaller frame from the plaid patterned paper with Mama Elephant's Type It die. Lastly, I die-cut a stitched circle out of white cardstock that would be a background for the cupcake and bear.

I adhered the two largest panels with my standard dot adhesive, then added the plaid panel wit foam dimensionals. For the center circle, I used a combination of dot adhesive and foam dimensionals. It looked a bit like the cupcake and bear were floating, so I quickly drew in a sketchy shadow for them.

I adhered the center circle to the card front, and the card was done! :)

Supplies:
Mama Elephant Carnival Cupcakes stamp set
Mama Elephant Carnival Toppers stamp set
My Favorite Things Hybrid Ink in Black Licorice
Mama Elephant Femme Frames dies
Mama Elephant Type It dies
My Favorite Things Stitched Circle STAX dies
My Favorite Things Heavyweight Cardstock in Primitive Cream
Copic Mini Marker Pad 70#lbs.
Neenah Solar White 80#lbs cardstock
Copics: Bear (R81, RV55, RV66, B000, R22, R35), Cupcake (E23, E29, E47, B000, B00, B41, B45, 0), Rose (R05, R46, R59, YG25, G46), Bow (V12, V06, V17)
Copic Sketch pen in Sepia
Sakura Gellyroll White Gel Pen

2 comments:

  1. Oh my!! I totally missed this news! ELLE!!!! Congratulations! So excited for you. No surprises that you would win any competition as you have amazing colouring skills and your designs are always flawless. I'm so happy for you. What are you going to choose?

    This card is also totalllly gorgeous! :) You inspire me to think outside my norms. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm still sooooo excited! I can't believe it. :D
      And wow, I can't decide what to choose yet! Avery Elle has such gorgeous stamps, and I've had my eye on several of them... I'll have to narrow it down!

      And thank you! This card was a bit different, but I love how it turned out. :)

      Delete