Wednesday, August 27, 2014

I like big books & I cannot lie!

When I saw the reveal for Simon Says Stamp's September card kit, I was super excited! I'm a huge bookworm, and I've got several family members who work or volunteer at local libraries, so I knew straight away I'd be making great use of the kit. And then when I saw that the stamp set was a very graphic and modular set... Be still my heart!

This month, the kit has a set of 4x8 October Afternoon library themed papers, a mini inkpad in Gathered Twigs (which I did not have, woo!), a matching library sticker sheet, wood enamel dots and the standard cardstock and fabulous new stamp set. If you were a subscriber, you also received a roll of Kelly Purkey washi tape - mine had a name and date washi.

The papers included in this month's kit were of a bit of a different size - 4 by 8". By cutting them in half, I got two 4x4" paper panels. So, I decided to go with a different size for my card base, and cut and scored the cardstock into a 4 1/4 by 4 1/4" square card base. While I had my trimmer out, I also cut a sheet of library paper in half (i.e. 4x4" square).

I adhered the patterned paper onto the card base. Since I had a spare rectangle of cardstock leftover from the card base, I used it to create a panel where I could layer more of the patterned paper. So, I cut a piece of chevron paper to measure 2 by 4" and the kraft cardstock to measure 2 1/4 by 4". I adhered the chevron paper to the cardstock and then adhered the entire panel onto the card base with foam squares.

I wanted to add a stamp panel to the card in form of a tag. But none of the tag dies I had were the right size. They were either too skinny or too long. So, I grabbed one of the tag dies in Lawn Fawn's Tag It die set and used it on a piece of cream cardstock that came with the kit. After I ran it through the Bigshot, I lined up the die-cut piece and moved it down - so when I ran it through the Bigshot again, it would make for a shorter tag.

I stamped a few colorful books at the bottom of the tag, then the sentiment above. Lastly, I stamped a little red apple to tie in with the patterned paper colors. After the stamping was done, I used my mini blending tool and Tea Dye distress ink to go around the tag edges.

I added some hemp cord at the top of the tag, then adhered the tag to the card with foam squares. Lastly, I added one tiny wood enamel dot at the top of the chevron panel.

Supplies:
Simon Says Stamp September 2014 Card Kit
Stampin' Up Classic Inkpads in Daffodil Delight, Tempting Turquoise and Soft Suede
Lawn Fawn Tag It dies
Ranger Mini blending tool
Distress Inkpad in Tea Dye
Hemptique Natural Hemp Cord (single)
Scrapbook Adhesives 3D Foam Squares
Tombow Dot Adhesive Runner (pink)
Fiskars Premium Cut Line Paper Trimmer - 12"
Martha Stewart Mini Scoring Board

2 comments:

  1. I think you are a master at any style you tackle, Elle. You've definitely got an eye for colour and design! Lovely card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kylie! You are beyond sweet *hugs*.

      I've played it sort of safe, I think, in terms of new techniques/styles. I bet I would be absolutely awful at some of them - like shabby chic or any style that uses lots and lots of embellishments. If I stray on the side of fairly simple/clean, I do ok.

      But I think that's true of anyone. We've all got our strengths and things we struggle with. :D

      Delete